User
Pass
2FA

Website Suggestion:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Freakz Forum Index -> Trash Bin -> Trash -> Discussions/Help
Author Message1308
nazty

[Mentally Stable]

(since 20-11-2013 03:21)

Votes: 3

Post Posted: 18-03-2012, 07:36:11 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

a better english section. english is the most widely spoken language in the world. is also the 3rd in list of most people who speak it primarily [spanish and mandarin being higher in terms of primary native language].

the english section as it stands, pretty much sucks - it's just 1 lil forum link for threads. most people who click this website through private server links will see that the websites in .ro, and be like ok, it's in another country, so what? - BUT, then they see the website is in romanian, that the forums are romanian, and then they figure that the servers are all romanians. this will cause a lot of people to leave what i believe to be the best cata server currently available. as good as this server is compared to others, it's population is incredibly low. the reason for this is that it does not cater to the majority. i have nothing against romanians, or the language, i love all people. but to increase popularity, population, etc, something needs to change so that people can see that there are more languages spoken here. this is just a few seconds of thinking but here is an example..

if you go to the forums, there would be only 2 links. romanian, and english.

if you click on either one.. it would take you to the forums.

each forum would look identical [except people speaking different languages ofc]

so all the servers, guilds, graphics, general chat, whatever.. would all be sections for both the romanian and the english. this will give the majority of people here [whom are romanian] their place to go, which is no different than it was before. nothing changed other then having to click that 1 link first that says romanian. and this gives people who dont speak romanian a place to go, and the knowledge that there are plenty here that speak other languages.

to further emphasize my point..
2 countries have romanian as their primary language.
6 countries have english as their primary language.

24-28 million people speak romanian.
1.5 billion people speak english. [around 375 million of them speak it as their primary language] this also means that more people learn english as a 2nd language than any other language in the world.

obvious enough, creating a better english section will without any doubt attract more people here.

0 0

Mouz'

[Forever young !]

(since 02-02-2022 18:17)

Votes: 144

Post Posted: 18-03-2012, 12:46:31 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

nazty wrote:
a better english section. english is the most widely spoken language in the world. is also the 3rd in list of most people who speak it primarily [spanish and mandarin being higher in terms of primary native language].

the english section as it stands, pretty much sucks - it's just 1 lil forum link for threads. most people who click this website through private server links will see that the websites in .ro, and be like ok, it's in another country, so what? - BUT, then they see the website is in romanian, that the forums are romanian, and then they figure that the servers are all romanians. this will cause a lot of people to leave what i believe to be the best cata server currently available. as good as this server is compared to others, it's population is incredibly low. the reason for this is that it does not cater to the majority. i have nothing against romanians, or the language, i love all people. but to increase popularity, population, etc, something needs to change so that people can see that there are more languages spoken here. this is just a few seconds of thinking but here is an example..

if you go to the forums, there would be only 2 links. romanian, and english.

if you click on either one.. it would take you to the forums.

each forum would look identical [except people speaking different languages ofc]

so all the servers, guilds, graphics, general chat, whatever.. would all be sections for both the romanian and the english. this will give the majority of people here [whom are romanian] their place to go, which is no different than it was before. nothing changed other then having to click that 1 link first that says romanian. and this gives people who dont speak romanian a place to go, and the knowledge that there are plenty here that speak other languages.

to further emphasize my point..
2 countries have romanian as their primary language.
6 countries have english as their primary language.

24-28 million people speak romanian.
1.5 billion people speak english. [around 375 million of them speak it as their primary language] this also means that more people learn english as a 2nd language than any other language in the world.

obvious enough, creating a better english section will without any doubt attract more people here.

This forum is not all for WoW. Is also for Counter Strike , where we have a lots of servers and GTA SAMP server.. And also..why do i have to learn english to play on a romanian server when u can learn romanian if you want to play here ! I think that Shocker did a lot of things for u , players from other countrys, made you a only english section , and a new realm. (i know my english sucks , but i give the best of me ! )

Equipment

MSI B75A-G43
Intel Core i5 3570k 3.4GHz
Cooler Master Hyper T4
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6GB OC ARMOR EDITION 192bit
HyperX Fury Black 4GB DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 x2

Peripherals

Zowie EC1-A
HyperX Cloud II
Steelseries QcK+ PUBG

0 0

Levier
[Banned user]

Banned

(since 21-08-2012 11:57)

Votes: 126

Post Posted: 18-03-2012, 15:53:34 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

This forum DOES cater for the majority, my friend. The truth is this: The majority of players are Romanian. It will probably always be this way due to the fact that well, we're situated in Romania and you know or should know that there is a huge difference in internet speed between national and international.

However, as you may see, if you do look at the english section, people are not posting as much as in the romanian sections and this is not due to shocker, the fact that the english section is small and anything else. It's because english speakers don't post and for that my friend, there is nothing we can do.

To further emphasize my point, latency-wise, the most part of the native english speakers that you claim cannot play here due to the fact that their latency would make the game run 5 FPS or worse.

What you are proposing is a differentiated forum where the english-speaking community would have even less support from the Romanian-speaking community that knows and can help. It's hard for me to believe that the Ro-speaking community will find much pleasure in browsing not one but two forums.

And also, as a personal point-of-view, the whole argument of "if you build it, they will come" is laughable. That's how you make an investment and go bankrupt.

0 0

nazty

[Mentally Stable]

Post Posted: 18-03-2012, 22:41:32 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

mouz.. maybe it's because of your english, but you didn't get my point - the idea i was suggesting took nothing away from romanian players here. they would still have all of their forums, every last thread, everything. nothing changed other then clicking 1 link at the beginning. if you felt i was trying to take something away from the romanians, sorry.. that wasn't what i had in mind at all xD

levier.. so many things wrong with your post. you do state some facts i'll admit.. but your facts are invalid. let's clarify.

1: you said, "the forum caters to the majority, the majority of the server is romanian."

this is correct. but the reason the majority of the server is romanian, is because it has always catered to romanians. nothing wrong with this except from a business perspective. the potential that this server has, would draw in more people that do not speak romanian, than those that do considering there are few people in the world that speak romanian.

2: you said, "people do not post in the english section as much as people do in the romanian ones."

this is also correct, but there's reason for this too. 1.. the english section sucks. people get a claustrophobic feel when they are couped up in a small little section. and considering english speakers are generally not accustomed to having such a small place to go, they also are more than likely to not even look through all of the romanian stuff to find that there is indeed a small lil hole in the forums just for us english speakers. the world as we know is much more lazy than it was 50 years ago, and 100 years ago, and so forth. many people , will not even check out the server once they see the website is in all romanian. that's a huge loss of profit for shocker.

and the ro-speaking community does not have to browse 2 forums lol. if the english section was larger, and there was a better mention that there is english on this website, the english section would indeed gradually become a much larger population than that of the romanian section.

another note, i don't lag on any of the servers lol, my latency never rises above 200 generally either. sure, i'm used to having 50 or so latency but still, it's perfectly fine.

and your personal point of view is obviously based on no educated knowledge of the suspect. try "not building it" and see if they come lol. not to mention, there's no investment here to be made, copying the forum data, renaming stuff to english, and adding it back in a 2nd forum, is not much work at all, i could do it all myself if they wish. it's very easy stuff. and costs nothing, but the potential for profit is 10 fold of what the current profit potential is right now.

0 0

Levier
[Banned user]

Banned

Post Posted: 18-03-2012, 23:18:33 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

Internet claustrophobia, this one's new.

You are under the general impression that people in the US generally have a good connection to Romania. mnope, no, not really.

The english section is basically the Ro section. You are under the general impression that this forum is run by a board of directors and has somehow a department for investment and support. Well nope. See Pony Zone in the Ro section? Yeah, it's made now to comply with some standards and rules. Was it started by the forum staff? nope. By one user. It's by far the most viewed topic on a daily basis.

English speakers are not accustomed to go to such a small place? Well, sheet, man, try browsing other foreign websites, get accustomed to not using US forums, the situation will change dramatically.
The whole forum, from a structure point of view is wholly translated into english (check the little flags up top) and there is nothing, absolutely nothing holding you back from posting in the "romanian section" in english. We are not going to bite, I promise whole-heartedly.

You stated and I quote:

Quote:

So, we should have two versions for everything. Ergo if I'm Romanian (and I am) and I wanna help both Romanians and foreign users I should browse two forums. Why would anyone want to do this?
And let me tell you this: If you build it, they will not come. If they need or want it, they will come.

Based on no educated knowledge, that was funny.

Quote:
not to mention, there's no investment here to be made, copying the forum data, renaming stuff to english, and adding it back in a 2nd forum, is not much work at all

Labor is necessary in order for a product to come into existence, even an all-english forum. Labor will be needed to maintain and moderate that forum. Labor is an investment.

If you're unaware, the mods are not getting paid. The staff isn't paid. WHY WOULD WE DO THAT? Explain it to me.

Unrelated and offtopic: how old are you and what's your alma mater? (just so I know who called me uneducated)

0 0

nazty

[Mentally Stable]

Post Posted: 20-03-2012, 08:06:28 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

Levier wrote:
You are under the general impression that people in the US generally have a good connection to Romania. mnope, no, not really.

Actually, I'm under the impression that not all english speakers are from america, and that even those that are, i don't have the best computer in the world and i do just fine 90% of the time, and this computer can't even handle a single game made in the past couple years [plants vs zombies and such don't count lmao].

Levier wrote:
The english section is basically the Ro section. You are under the general impression that this forum is run by a board of directors and has somehow a department for investment and support. Well nope. See Pony Zone in the Ro section? Yeah, it's made now to comply with some standards and rules. Was it started by the forum staff? nope. By one user. It's by far the most viewed topic on a daily basis.

What's with all these impressions I'm obviously under? 1.. it's called a suggestions forum for a reason. and 2.. The Pony Zone is just some spam topic. Those exist on numerous sites and honestly, I'm sure as hell glad it wasn't a thread initiated by the staff, as I'm also glad it's not in English lol. I don't troll, I don't like spam either. Sorry.

Levier wrote:
English speakers are not accustomed to go to such a small place? Well, sheet, man, try browsing other foreign websites, get accustomed to not using US forums, the situation will change dramatically.
The whole forum, from a structure point of view is wholly translated into english (check the little flags up top) and there is nothing, absolutely nothing holding you back from posting in the "romanian section" in english. We are not going to bite, I promise whole-heartedly.

Why would I use something other than an english based website? English consists of majority of everything, there has never been anything I needed that I could not get on an English website. [with 2 exceptions.. I have several friends in asia as i visit there regularly, so I do have QQ and RenRen to keep in touch].

Only the names translate to english, which most people would not see at first. They would however see that everything is dull, crowded, and all in romanian. All the contents however, are in romanian [with limited exception of course]. The bug tracker sucks, I have to translate every single bug to figure out what's wrong with the classes I play. This however, I can understand. It just sucks though -

And yes, I know I "can" post in the romanian sections.. but do you really think english speakers are going to browse through page after page of romanian topics to find 1 in english?

Levier wrote:
So, we should have two versions for everything. Ergo if I'm Romanian (and I am) and I wanna help both Romanians and foreign users I should browse two forums. Why would anyone want to do this?
And let me tell you this: If you build it, they will not come. If they need or want it, they will come.

Then don't! English users can help each other. And you would still have to click on just as many help topics. The only difference is the ONE button at the beginning. Sure, you have to click a couple more if you want to browse every, single, section. But most people don't do this, and for those that enjoy reading and/or helping, I highly doubt they would mind a few clicks.

And yes, they WILL come. You trying to say english speakers don't want a more organized, easier to access, part of the forums? Are you kidding me? There's a reason why there's so many romanians compared to english speakers, and it's not the latency despite what you may think.

Levier wrote:
Labor is necessary in order for a product to come into existence, even an all-english forum. Labor will be needed to maintain and moderate that forum. Labor is an investment.

If you're unaware, the mods are not getting paid. The staff isn't paid. WHY WOULD WE DO THAT? Explain it to me.

Unrelated and offtopic: how old are you and what's your alma mater? (just so I know who called me uneducated)

Okay, I'll wrap up this last little part.

1.. you cannot go bankrupt from adding an addition to the forum.
2.. some people, like to improve/perfect/work on stuff.. crazy eh?
3.. i even offered to do it, free of charge, no compensation, don't even require thx or honorable mentions.
4.. it's not even difficult to do. copy the forums, zip it, send it to whoever is editing unless shocker wished to do it himself. rename shit, add the 2 buttons at the beginning, move the contents that currently exist under the romanian button, and then upload the new renamed contents of the english section under that button. the only thing that "could" be stressful depending on how this website is setup, is deleting all the old romanian threads that remained in the copied forum that became english. it is NOT hard, i know that was a lil vague, and some shit was left out, but it's really not that difficult.
5.. i am 26 years old, i went to the university of florida. i originally majored in psychology, but ended up doing photography and photo retouching and such with a minor in business and law [i know law has nothing to do with this, nor photography or retouching, but still.. just added additional info as i am now a photographer, law was just for the hell of it.] i have only my master's in photography, which holds no merit in this conversation but idc - i now work as a photographer, doing artistic nude primarily, and landscape on the side. there's my basic background info.

the thing that puzzles me, is why are you so against this? it takes nothing from the romanian people here. the only downside is that people who like to visit both romanian and english sections have a few more clicks to make. even just making a duplicate forum for just the wow section would be a nice change in my own view. and the positives of it far outweigh that single negative. which is attracting more people. even myself personally, if not for the <Crysis> meeting we had that led our entire guild to transfer here, there would have been no way i would have played here as an english speaker. obviously im here to stay now, but im not the only one who doesnt stay due to lack of english access. my evidence lies in the fact that there are over a billion more english speakers than romanians, yet for some strange reason, they don't typically come here.

0 0

mely

[Mentally Stable]

(since 05-06-2012 21:55)

Votes: 2

Post Posted: 20-03-2012, 09:22:12 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

While keeping in mind this is the suggestion section..

Shocker is the one that owns these servers. A large portion of the Community on WoW Freakz and counter strike are Romanians, therefore most the functions are served in Romanian.

However, Exodus is advertised as an "international" realm. I would assume that Shocker wishes to capture a portion of international player base. By cleaning up certain sections of the forum could bring in more international players for Shocker.

@ The low participation in English forums. Speaking for myself, the reason I choose not to post anything under those forums is because the lack of structure under that forum. By remodeling the English forums, it could give more of an incentive for people to post in that section.

As far as the connection to Romania. I'm currently playing from Vancouver with an average computer / internet speed. Freakz has done a great job keeping the stability of the server; I've rarely lagged on the realm because of my geographical location.

By changing up the website a bit, it could potentially bring in more international players onto Exodus (or other realms). In order to bring in more international players (Which I assume is the purpose of having an exodus realm, or else Shocker would've just stayed w/ hosting Romanian servers), I think it'd be a good step to re-work the English sections of this forum, while NOT taking anything away from the Romanian forums.

0 0

Levier
[Banned user]

Banned

Post Posted: 20-03-2012, 13:45:35 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

I'll skip quoting stuff as walls-of-text are hard to read.

@Nazty: I'm not against your proposal per se but I'd really like too see a better argument 'cause I can tell you this: Shocker has almost certainly not seen this topic yet, but when he will see it, if a good proposal, well argumented and so forth is not here, nothing will happen to your proposal. Trust me, I've been around since 2007 and have been part of the forum staff for a fairly good amount of time.

The issue of duplicating and/or splitting the forums I can say with near certainty will not happen. However, given that now there's two of you (showing at least that it's not a one-man wish) I can understand that people wish for a better structure of things in at least the english section. This can be done.

What you need to understand with "bankrupt" is that Shocker is responsible for most development and your request from all points of view is not a priority; Bug fixing is the priority at the moment and will probably be until most major bugs are fixed.
If Shocker would choose to do an better dev. English section before fixing major bugs it would firstly take his time away from fixing bugs and would be counterproductive as people will come, see a major bug and go away because in their mind, the server is buggy.

2.Don't go sarcastic on me, you've been here for a small fraction of the time I was here as a staff member. Do check the last "supermoderator of the year/supermoderatorul anului" and see who won before going sarcastic.

3. I'll talk to some staff members and see how the English section can be revamped and improved.

0 0

nazty

[Mentally Stable]

Post Posted: 20-03-2012, 21:57:00 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

yea levi.. after posting that last one i was like, "whoa" lmao.

that's perfectly fine man.. i love arguing - especially cuz u don't get all pissed off quickly like most people do. a heated debate is still just a debate, im glad u can understand this - as for my sarcasm, it's a reli bad habit, i can't reli stop it lol.. sorry though xD

so shocker is the only one who works on the website? poor shocker - and yea, i prefer him to work on bugs than the website as well.. but this isnt so much about me -

i will try a new thing.. exodus is the only international realm [sorry for stating obvious lol]. maybe just reworking the realms part of the forums would be better?

instead of saying for example: guilds exodus, like now. u can just make it say exodus. then when you go into it, u find sub-forum links for things like guilds [ofc lol], arena, classes, tutorials [can even link a few of the romanian ones translated in english from those that generally like to help.. ofc they would need to provide a link to the original romanian text to give credit], and other such stuff.

also adding what kind of realms helps too.. such as instead of just making htat starting area say "exodus" in replace of "exodus guilds", it could say "Exodus - International" with the others adding "- Romanian" at the end.

final suggestion/comment/note/whatever it turns into lol.. when you first go to wow freakz, does it begin in romanian or begin in english? because honestly.. i didnt see those flag things up there for several weeks - maybe making them bigger so that people can notice it and switch asap might encourage people to stay? but maybe it auto-chooses based on ip location, i don't know xD

Thank you for continuing this argument. so many short tempered people in the world, i just like to help - but i know when i argue i tend to not sound so polite, especially with smart *** remarks which is why im in a weird habit of adding smiley faces at the end of almost everything - [that wasnt intentional lol, but see!]

and.. i didnt even know u were a moderator lol.. i see no rank thing.

0 0

Levier
[Banned user]

Banned

Post Posted: 21-03-2012, 00:32:21 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

I used to be one, I quit.

Also, I think Shocker made the language be set automatically by IP but still interchangeable by way of flags.

0 0

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Freakz Forum Index -> Trash Bin -> Trash -> Discussions/Help  

The time now is 30-09-2024, 17:29:25
Copyright info

Based on phpBB ro/com
B

I forgot my password

This message appears only once, so
like us now until it's too late ! :D
x