Existing user? Sign in
Frost Death Knight PvP Guide 5.4.8 - Revised Guide
Freakz Forum Index
(since 23-12-2019 15:31)
Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posted: 24-03-2016, 17:17:42
| Translate post to:
Click for more languages
I`ve written this guide to provide a decent source of information for Frost Death Knight PvP players.
Under no circumstances are you obliged to follow this guide. It is here merely to serve as an overview of the Frost specialization in a player-versus-player enviorment, and as such you can use it to learn more about the class. Beware that some things are taken from other guides but will work on Freakz. I have called this a "Revised" guide because everything here is tested and all attempts at creating a frost DK PvP guide have been consolidated into one, with some information added by me. I am open to tips and all manners of criticism and your input is greatly appreciated.
Bellow, you can find a list of races which I believe are decent:
Human - The "Every man for himself" makes the human race the best for PvP.
Gnome - The racial (escaping roots and slows) is fairly decent, however the extended cooldown makes it a not-so-good choice when compared to the rest
Worgen - Has a 1% increased crit chance, and the sprint-like Darkflight racial.
Orc - The Blood-fury and Hardiness racials make the Orc race the best for horde PvP.
Troll - They have Berserking.
2. Runes and runic power
Runic power is represented by the bar bellow your health bar, and can be either used (By frost strike, for example) or generated (By spells such as howling blast). Because runic power is such a valuable resource (even more useful for DW DKs, but that is not important) we will not be using conversion, which takes away your resource in exchange for health.
Those 6 things bellow your portrait are your runes:
- Blood: Used by spells such as blood strike
- Frost: Used by frost abilities, like obliterate. These are the most valuable "standard runes" for our specialization.
- Unholy: Pretty useful. They are used by spells such as necrotic strike or plague strike.
There are also death runes, which replace your normal runes and activate only when using certain spells (Plague leech, blood tap). These can be used for any attack, regardless of which runes they would normally use.
3. Abilities and passives
Passive benefits of the spec:
Mastery: Frozen Heart
- Increases the frost damage you deal
The following are the spells which you`ll be using the most:
And these are some other ones:
Empower Rune Weapon
Death and Decay
Please do not forget spells such as
chains of ice
. These are useful too.
- On the first row, pick Plague Leech, because on use it removes your diseases from the targetand provides you with two Death Runes (They can be used as all sorts of runes, and having these up constantly will maximize your damage)
- On the second row, pick Lichborne because it turns you into an undead. While undead, you can use
to heal yourself. More about this will be discussed in the "Macros" section. Lichborne also breaks fear / sleep / charm, and you will be immune to those effects while the buff is active.
- On the third row, pick Asphyxiate because it stuns your enemy / acts as a silence if the target is immune to stuns. You can also use chillblains in certain situations.
- On the fourth row, pick Death Pact because it provides an awesome heal and doesn`t use runic power. I will show you a macro on how to use the ability effectively later on.
- On the fifth row, pick Blood Tap. For each Frost Strike or Death Coil you use to damage your enemy, you`ll get 2 charges of Blood Tap. You can use five of these charges to activate a Death Rune.
- On the last row, pick Desecrated Ground, because it is an extra trinket, and as such you won`t have to take up equipment slots. You can play with two DPS trinkets.
5. Gemming and Enchanting
- Meta: Reverberating primal diamond
- Blue: Tense imperial amethyst
- Yellow: Skillful venom onyx
- Red: Bold inferno ruby
Weapon: Rune of the fallen crusader
Chest: Glorious stats
Bracers: Exceptional Strenght
Gloves: Super strenght
Shoulders: Greater tiger fang inscription
Cloak: Swordguard Embroidery
Boots: Pandaren's step
Belt: Living steel belt buckle
Bellow is a list of glyphs which are useful to a frost Death Knight.
- Glyph of Shifting Presences
- Glyph of Death and Decay
- Glyph of anti-magic shell
- Glyph of regenerative magic
- Glyph of icy touch
(Credits go to Amnezx for this section!)
/cast [target=player] Death Coil
Focus arena 1/2/3 Macros
Target arena1/2/3 Macros
Focus Death Grip
/cast [target=focus] Death Grip
/cast [target=focus] strangulate
Focus Chains of Ice
/cast [@focus] Chains of ice
Focus Mind Freeze
/cast [target=focus] Mind Freeze
Focus Dark Simulacrum + Spell use @focus
#showtooltip dark simulacrum
/cast Dark Simulacrum
/click RightActionButton 8 (inlocuiti cu butonul pe care aveti pus macroul)
Remorseless Winter sau Desecrated Ground
/cast Remorseless Winter
/cast Desecrated Ground
/run SetMacroSpell("T6",GetSpellInfo("Remorseless Winter") or "Desecrated Ground")
Frost Strike + Blood Tap macro
#showtooltip Frost Strike
/cast Frost Strike
/cast [@focus] Dark Command
/cast Blood Tap
/cast [nopet] raise dead
/cast !death pact
/cast howling blast
Necrotic + Blood Tap
#showtooltip Necrotic Strike
/cast [@focus] dark command
/cast Necrotic Strike
/cast Blood Tap
#showtooltip Pillar of Frost
/cast Pillar of Frost
/cancelaura hand of protection
/cancelaura hand of freedom
/cancelaura divine shield
/cancelaura ice block
/cast Blood Presence
/cast Unholy Presence
8. 2v2 arena combos
- Frost DK - Holy Paladin
- Frost DK - Restoration Druid
- Frost DK - Mistweaver Monk
- Frost DK - Restoration Shaman
These are the FDK-healer combos I enjoy and reccomend. Playing with a priest also works, but I don't like it in certain situations. Beware! If you are doing arenas with a priest, always pick Holy or Discipline.
I don't recconend playing with another DPS unless you have skill and great means of player to player communication. While certain comps might work, the possible gains are not worth the risk. You might be tempted to class-stack, but that won't work against players that aren't your run of the mill 1550 users.
Former Game Master & Discord Community Manager
(January 2017 - February 2018)
Back to top
Freakz Forum Index
The time now is 28-01-2020, 16:38:10
Based on phpBB
I forgot my password
World of Warcraft
Login for more...
Download WoW 5.4.8
Download WoW 7.2.5
Buy reputation with votes
User guide (FAQ)
World of Warcraft