User
Pass
2FA

How To: MAC for 4.3.4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Freakz Forum Index -> Trash Bin -> Trash
Author Message2504
taelar

[Mentally Stable]

(since 11-04-2013 05:31)

Votes: 3

Post Posted: 22-01-2013, 13:57:49 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

We all have those few friends that play on a MAC. For these people, games and patches can often be a frustration since they have to wait for a MAC version to be created of said game. Now, I have been asked by many of my guildies to find a way to run the new 4.3.4 WoW client on a MAC. Sad to say I have not found a direct application that can be run on a MAC. This method works but is complicated. If you do not understand any part of it feel free to PM me or leave a comment below. As of January 22, 2013 these are your options.

(You will need a basic understanding of how to use Terminal to understand this guide. If you need assistance with that, PM me. I will not assist you with that in the comments.)

Option 1: Parallels/VMWare

This is the most expensive option of the three that I give you. Parallels and VMWare are virtualization software that allows you to run multiple OS (Operating System) on one machine. This option is extremely expensive as it also requires you to purchase a Microsoft License. If you want more help with this feel free to PM me.

Option 2: Bootcamp

Bootcamp is a software built into all of the latest MACs. It essentially allows you to split your harddrive so that you can run the Windows OS upon starting your MAC. It then basically appears like you're running a Windows machine in the shell of your MAC. The issues with this is that your memory is drastically reduced. If you use bootcamp soley for WoW i don't think this will be an issue. Again however this requires money. You need to purchase the Microsoft License for their OS.

Option 3 (the FREE method)

Wine. A program that lets you run Windows apps. It essentially translates the requests from the Window's application to the OS X operating system. This is the Option i will be going into detail with.

REQUIREMENTS
1. Intel MAC. The older PowerPC MACs will not work with Wine.
2. Administrative privileges.
3. Apple Xcode
4. Java Development package
5. XQuartz

We start with Installing Xcode.

1. Download Xcode here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcode/id497799835

2. Install MacPorts: http://www.macports.org/install.php
Scroll down and find the header "MAC OS x Packaage Installer). Run the installer.

Configure MacPorts:

3. Run Terminal (application on all MACs). and Copy/Paste the following into it.
Code:
$ echo export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:\$PATH$'\n'export MANPATH=/opt/local/man:\$MANPATH | sudo tee -a /etc/profile

You should be asked for your password, type it in. You will not see anything written in as you type your password.

The output should be

Code:
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

Code:
export MANPATH=/opt/local/man:$MANPATH

4. Next type in

(All on one line)

Code:
if [ `sysctl -n hw.cpu64bit_capable` -eq 1 ] ; then echo "+universal" | sudo tee -a /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf; else echo "not 64bit capable"; fi

You will get a reply "+universal" or "not 64bit capable" either of which is okay.

5. Then Agree to the Xcode License by typing in:

Code:
sudo xcodebuild -license

Close and reopen Terminal.

Install Wine Using macPorts
6. Type in:
Code:
sudo port install wine

You should see a list of information flying through your screen. This is normal. Depending on your computer speed this can take 10 minutes to a couple hours.

Running WoW Using Wine

7. Type this into your Terminal:
Code:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/

8. Type "ls" into your terminal. You should see your World of warcraft folder. At this point you want to get into it. For me, my name of the folder was WorldofWarcraft. So my command was cd WorldofWarcraft

9. Then find the Exe file inside of that folder. and type
Code:
wine $PROGRAM_NAME_Here.exe

where PROGRAM_NAME_HERE is your wow.exe. Make sure you see that exe in the current directory that you are in.

I hope this helped out the few people that are in need of a way to play 4.3.4 on MAC. If you have any questions/concerns/problems feel free to PM me or place a comment below. I wish you all the best and enjoy!

0 0

shhnedo

[Creep]

(since 14-06-2019 20:15)

Votes: 21

Post Posted: 22-01-2013, 20:40:12 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

taelar wrote:
purchase a Microsoft License

Not necessarily. You could go for some activator to make your copy of windows "genuine".

By the way, STICKY THIS AND PUT A LINK ON THE MAIN PAGE!

0 0

taelar

[Mentally Stable]

Post Posted: 22-01-2013, 22:22:10 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

Let's be honest there's a lot of Could/Should to almost any guide.

Why, I may be a Villain and I'm Back To Rule !
0 0

Xayar

[Mentally Stable]

(since 24-07-2013 18:12)

Votes: 2

Post Posted: 22-01-2013, 23:13:02 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

...and for those people that already have the 3.4.3 native client installed? I don't see why i have to play on another OS (virtualized or whatever) when i can play on my own.
0 0

shhnedo

[Creep]

(since 14-06-2019 20:15)

Votes: 21

Post Posted: 22-01-2013, 23:35:00 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

This guide is for those who can't.

0 0

taelar

[Mentally Stable]

Post Posted: 23-01-2013, 04:23:15 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

Xayar wrote:
...and for those people that already have the 3.4.3 native client installed? I don't see why i have to play on another OS (virtualized or whatever) when i can play on my own.

Sigh...Before posting your thoughts please read what the purpose of the thread is for. There is no 4.3.4 MAC client. Therefore users that were able to play on this server with their MAC for 4.0.6 cannot play on this server anymore as it has been updated to 4.3.4. This method is meant to give them a way to do so.

Why, I may be a Villain and I'm Back To Rule !
0 0

Stevefoxx

[Mentally Stable]

(since 21-02-2014 20:01)

Votes: 2

Post Posted: 27-02-2013, 19:00:37 | Translate post to: ... (Click for more languages)

Man i have a proble instead of usgin this complicated method i have allways downloaded the freakz version (27gb) and i just used wine to open the launcher andautomatically the program x11 will open, but now i have a problem i do the same thing but x11 doesn't show me nothing even if i click on it; is the problem of x11 or wine? P.S. if i let x11 opened for a while it tells me wow error. GUYS HELP ME!!!!
0 0

Topic locked

Topic is closed, you cannot post any messages in it anymore

Locked by Burebysta, 24 January 2016 13:37

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Freakz Forum Index -> Trash Bin -> Trash  

The time now is 02-10-2024, 18:27:58
Copyright info

Based on phpBB ro/com
B

I forgot my password